22 October 2010

Whipping in the Wind

Miami Beach, April 2010


From a great distance I saw a man unraveling something from the top of his head, whipping it so that the rope-like objects caught in the wind like tails of an elaborate kite. Something told me that it was his hair, but it just didn't seem possible; I had to take a closer look.

His name was Lucas, and when I asked to take his picture, he picked up his locks, holding them in his hands like a pet boa. He then dropped his thick, black ropes of hair from his arms, and they fell like bungees, sweeping the sand floor. I looked down at this and fleetingly thought: Ah, but he's getting sand in his hair!

He was working to put away the beach equipment from the day, so I was not really able to talk with him. He paused to tell me that it took him 26 years to grow to this length. I wish I could have learned more, but he was too busy. At least he allowed me those few moments to admire such fascinating ropes of hair.





No comments:

Post a Comment